September 9th – Today is the anniversary of the Battle of Flodden Field, one of the bloodiest ever fought on British soil, between the English and the Scots, which took place in 1513.
According to John Stow, in his “Survay of London written in the Year 1598” (* see below for the relevant extract), sometime after the battle, the decapitated head of the defeated Scottish King, James IV, ended up being buried in the church of St Michael, Wood Street, just off Cheapside.
The church was later burnt down in the Great Fire of 1666, rebuilt by Christopher Wren between 1670-75, and modified in 1887-88, only to be demolished in 1897. Nothing remains of it at its former site, now occupied by the “Red Herring” public house.
(*) The relevant part of the text…
View original post 204 more words