On Boxing Day, 1867, Birmingham welcomed the opening of ‘an important addition to the stock entertainment of the town’ with the launch of the Curzon Exhibition Hall. The ‘capacious and handsome building’ was designed to be a permanent and prominent feature in the town and the opening performance suitably spectacular. The public notice below is transcribed from Aris’s Birmingham Gazette of December 27 1867. Birmingham’s historical and extensive archive of newspapers is available to view on microfilm in the Local Studies Centre at the Library of Birmingham.
Curzon Exhibition Hall
top of Suffolk Street, Paradise Street, Birmingham
This day (Saturday) at Two p.m.,
Doors open at half past one.
THIS EVENING at half past seven p.m.,
Doors open at half past six.
THE IMPERIAL JAPANESE COMPANY
HIS MAJESTY THE TYCOON
from the Court of Jeddo, Japan.
Directors of the troupe, Messrs. THOMAS MAGURE and
View original post 435 more words